Adopting relatively simple measures can minimise the amount of resources we consume and the quantity of waste produced. For example, you can consider:
• Do you need to buy the item in the first place?
• Do you need to buy the quantity of material?
• Buy energy efficient, durable products that contain little or no hazardous materials and are easily recycled at the end of their life.
• Buy materials containing recycled materials, such as paper.
• When buying an item, think about how much waste will be produced during its life and how you will dispose of it.
• Print double sided (amend your default settings).
• Print two pages or more on one sheet.
• Allow students to submit work which is double sided and single line spaced.
• Ensure fax machines do not produce header or report sheets.
In the office:
• Reuse envelopes internally.
• Use a mug/glass, not disposable cups.
If you have to buy the item, think about when you've finished with it and visit the Reuse section!